Wednesday, October 8, 2014

One Done!

Beautiful sunrise over Mt. Magazine

One of the gorgeous, sparkly, dew kissed fields we passed early in the race.


Just going to go lay down over there...cemetery #4 at mile 25.


Almost there...really.

Another medal.

I've shared a lot of finishes with this gal. I love her so.
My very first marathon was a miserable rainy and 50 degrees. My second, an even more miserable 17 degrees. The third time was a charm, I suppose, because my most recent race was a perfectly gorgeous 47 degrees at the start, 60 by the finish. The Arkansas Marathon was small, with less than 50 running the full marathon. I was the only person in my age division, therefore, I came in first...and last in my age group, ha! I ran through three towns, Booneville, Magazine, & Blue Mountain, passing 4 or 5 cemeteries (I always find this mildly amusing during a race). I ran over more roadkill than I have ever seen in my life x2 (it was a there and back course). The road was long and hilly, but the views were stunning. Fellow race participants were supportive. Volunteers were sweet and helpful. I especially loved the little old men manning an aid station in front of the funeral home at mile 24--again, my tired mind thought it all very funny. All in all, it was a great experience.

I had planned to travel to and run this race alone, as my favorite running buddy is still battling a back injury. A week before the race, she called and said, "I'm signed up for the half!" I can't tell you how much better these things are if you can share them with a friend. We didn't even get caught up with our respective stories before her turn around came, but sharing those few miles with her made a huge difference in the rest of my day. She was cheering for me at the finish and drove the whole way home. I owe her big time.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Running this race knowing that more than $6,000 has already been donated to the Gayle Ross Memorial Campership Fund, made the 26.2 long and grueling miles a complete joy. I am humbled, honored by the support I have received from so many. But my goal is far from complete! 17 more days until race #2. 45 days until race #3. I would love to add a few more camperships to this total before race #3!

Please consider sponsoring me as I run for the Gayle Ross Campership Fund at Camp Lutherhoma. If you are moved to do so, send your donation to:

Camp Lutherhoma
PO Box 1672
Tahlequah, OK 74465
Please make sure to write Campership/run on the memo line

or you can donate online by visiting:
http://lutherhoma.com/Support/donationtypes.php
Scroll down to the Gayle Ross Campership Fund section and follow the link to Paypal.

THANK YOU.




No comments: