Sunday, March 8, 2009

Keep on Trucking

We ran THIRTY-ONE miles this week. Saturday's 16 miles were tough from the very beginning. Really tough. Next week will be our last increase on the long run. 18 miles. That will be the longest run we will tackle before the marathon...which is scary because I just don't feel ready to run 26 miles yet! This week I really started working towards occupying my mind, even on the short and mid runs, with concentration games (going to grandma's and I'm taking an Apple, Banana, Cat, etc...), my happy places (camp, the beach, mountains), and other mind games that keep my noggin from thinking about anything negative. I also found closing my eyes helps--I try to see how long I can go before running off the trail. :)

I am amazed by how people respond to my training with: "I could NEVER do that!" Uh...yes you could! Seriously, if I can do it...ANYONE can. Arthritic. Diabetic. Non-runner type. I'm feeling rebellious. I love it.

If you have the itch go check this book out: The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer

No comments: